Thursday, February 7, 2008

I am thankful for my house, I am thankful for my house....

This is what I keep telling myself in an attempt to remain calm and thankful. Kevin has been gone this week in Louisville (warmer but the threat of tornadoes makes me like -30) and so as you know of course another problem arose with the house. After the weeks of digging to find the septic cleanouts and earlier this year getting rid of 12 mice in my garage and car (i know it's the grossest thing you've ever heard) I was hoping the only things I would have to deal with in this house would be the marvelous decor options that were chosen 35 years ago....I guess that would be too easy. So the drama started with Olivia playing so nicely in the playroom while I was reading. I kept asking her if she had to use the potty (like every minute) to avoid an accident and she kept saying no. After about 20 minutes I go in and see she has made (even to my standards, and I'm pretty tolerant) a huge poop mess. She had already gone in her panties and proceeded to smear it all over the carpet and her Dora backpack along with 4 or 5 other toys. I just stood in horror because what do you do? Yelling is pointless and besides I was completely in shock. I just stood there and tried to get my brain to work. So I took her hand and instructed her to not touch ME or anything else. We went upstairs and I started a bath after a 25 baby wipe wipe down. I called Payton in to sit with her while I went to clean up and started the gross task. Payton called down he was going to get in the bath with her (good I thought he won't get bored) and I finished cleaning. I went into the laundry room to start the wash and found water pooled on the floor and leaking from the ceiling. This is when I started freaking out. I ran upstairs and discovered Payton had filled the bath so full (which he admittedly knows is not okay but he thought it would be fun....oh how the 7 year old mind works) that the water was going out the overflow. Now, in my mind the overflow should run into the drain pipe and out with the rest of the water. Not out ALONG the pipe and down into the house....(I am thankful for my house, I am thankful for my house.... )So we drained the tub and luckily all was well. No more water in the basement and another thing we have to fix. (I am thankful for my house, I am thankful for my house) Logically I know things could be so much worse but it always seems bad when you have to deal with a problem...so kevin gets home tomorrow and I guess we will be tending the the bathroom in the very near future. It shouldn't be a problem unless little minds decide to fill the tub to the very top, which in all reality is very probable here. Otherwise all is well. We are all healthy and warm notwithstanding the freezing temps and I am going to do a 5K on Feb 23 providing the weather cooporates. Anything above 10 will work. Have a fabulous day and just think of us when you need a laugh!! Love you all!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just Grandma's thoughts: Sounds like little miss Olivia needs to learn to clean up her mess, with direction, of course. That may cure her. But, then again, she seems to have a mind of her own! Good luck with this one! Miss you, too. Hang in there....this too shall pass (no pun intended!)

CA Grandma Sheryl

Amy said...

I remember oh too well the things that seem to go wrong as soon as our other halves are gone... Good luck and thanks for the laugh!

Ninny said...

Please forgive me for my uncontrollable laughter as I read this post. One day, I hope, you will look back on this and laugh too. I mean, what mother has not experienced the artistic freedom of poo paint? And in my mind I can just see you standing there in horror! Thanks for the laugh- and don't hate me!!!LOL