Monday, May 18, 2009

Water and deer

*warning: dead animal and tirade to follow*

So about a month ago...the 14th of April to be exact... we (I) had a little accident. Let me preface the incident. Kevin and I have been contemplating our vehicle situation lately. My car seats 6, which is the exact number of family members we now have. Great except there is no (about 8 inches) cargo room if all 6 seats are in use. You see where I'm going with this?! Well if we had children who needed no entertainment in the car, or if we had some kind of wonderful grocery delivery system this would not be a problem, however, we have children who need entertainment for even the shortest car rides and I can't seem to find anyone here to do my massive monthly shopping...so...kevin and I have been discussing the idea of up sizing to an older suburban type vehicle. We were looking at used vehicles from both private parties and dealers and found a suburban in Fargo we thought might work. SO..off we went on the 14th down to Fargo (about 175 miles south) to look at the said vehicle. It didn't work out but we had a nice dinner and time away from the 3 older children. Weston, Kevin and I all started back to Cavalier about 9 pm. The flooding we had out here was still all around. The interstate was open but there was water on all sides and up the middle. (see pictures below) About 20 miles north of Grand Forks (halfway home) I hit a deer. There were 3 standing right in the middle of my lane. Kevin and I saw them about the same time and luckily I had time to slow down to about 45, but sadly (for me and my car) I hit the one stupid enough to jump first left to the center divider (full of water) then right back in front of my car. Oh I was so mad...not really sad like I thought I'd be after hitting an animal. It was 10:30pm and what to do? Luckily our kind friends came from the base and let the 3 of us sleep over then helped us to the rental car desk the next morning. There is more to the story but I figure this post is long enough. Best part...we were safe and unharmed. We realized, immediately and later on that week, that with all the water around it could have been so much worse. I am SO THANKFUL for our safety first off but for INSURANCE.


This is a shot of the center divider between the north and south bound lanes.


Here is a shot of the water clear up to the road. This is normally a crop field.




This is where I hit the deer (the next day). You can see all my fluids on the ground and how far the deer flew (it's there on the side of the road).



Here are some shots of my car after being towed. I hit the deer on the drivers side.





$5,500 in repairs and 21 days in a rental....that is my excuse for not posting sooner. 15 years in AK and I never hit a moose (thankfully) and here in ND about a year and whamo...I promise the next few posts will be of better subject matter.

No comments: